For my birthday a couple of years ago I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
We’ve had rain and storms and my sun has gone. Whilst I enjoyed watching the lightning, that was fun. I miss my hot sunny weather and want it back.
Here are my top ten moments from the last 7 days:
- I treated L to a cute Paw Patrol blanket, but then on one of the hottest das of the year he decided to curl up underneath it and has refused to let it go since. So cute!!
- Picking L up from nursery and finding him in his graduation cap!! They had just made them as something fun to do, there was no ceremony or anything I had missed, but it did make me a bit emotional.
- Waking up to find out exactly how the paddling pool developed a puncture. Look at that daft cat heading into the pool. He’s not even just having a drink, providing it’s not filled right up he stands and even sits in the water. I know it’s been hot, but honestly!
- It got so hot all the fridges at our local supermarket failed, much like ours had at home, but only on a larger scale. I also decided that sitting in my car on my lunch break was a no. This was the night of all the storms though and it was great to watch. Loads of lightning and the heaviest rain, I just laid in bed with the curtains open watching it.
- Saturday morning we were having our new fence put in, so it meant keeping the kid occupied inside the house. So there was only one thing to do, bake! He loves it and the end result is cake, in this case a rather fabulous cherry cake. We had so much fun and he did so well, even the guy popping our fence in got to enjoy a slice!
- We went to a birthday party on Sunday, probably the last one we’ll go to with L’s current gang of friends as they’re all heading off to different schools. In big news though, most unlike my son, he just went off and played. He whooshed down the slides by himself, went to play with a friend who had been left out a little bit, joined in and even went down the twisty turny tunnel slide, previously a scary instrument of torture. So bloody proud of him that day.
- We had a lovely afternoon walk exploring the fields behind our house. We’re lucky to have so many footpaths that are actually well maintained. L loves the fields and I love the peace and quiet. It was a beautiful walk and really made me appreciate where we live.
- I had a lovely evening crafting thanks to a box from Makerly that I had been sent to review. It was nice to kick back and do something I enjoy for a little bit. Crafting is always a great way for me to feel calm, and despite all the happiness this week, mentally I am really struggling, so this was a well timed and welcome distraction.
- Popped into town to get L a little toy after such a good weekend on the behaviour front and go to the dentist. He did really well at the dentist and as a treat I obviously took him to the bakery for the biggest Minion shortbread ever, probably bad parenting, but definitely delicious, I know because he insisted on sharing it with me, he’s so cute.
- Literally had the best day with him. I did a little work in the morning then we headed into Norwich to find a few more Go Go Hares and tick them off our list. We made several stops, had a couple of nice walks, had a nice lunch and visited the ice cream van. All on my way to an opticians appointment I had managed to write down the correct time for, but the wrong day, doh! I was two days early!!!! How embarrassing. I fixed it by stopping to see another Hare on the way home though, so all was not lost.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.