For my birthday a couple of years ago I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
We are now onto full days at school and whilst L is just rocking it, I’m more than a little emotional this week. I feel so sad, all the time. I’m back at work though, with newly changed hours, so I reckon once I get into the swing of my new routine I’ll be OK.
Here are my top ten moments from the last 7 days:
- We caught up with one of L’s friends from nursery who is going to a different school. Trying to make the most of the them both being on half days. It was nice to have a catch up and see how they were each getting on. The boys loved it, it did them good to see a familiar play mate.
- L and I had fun finishing off some Halloween crafts for Hobbycraft. We do love a bit of messy fun together, especially Halloween fun. It is L’s second favourite holiday.
- I made the most of Friday organising a few more bits of L’s room, his bed has so much storage I’ve managed to empty our living room of toys almost entirely. That made me happy. Only a few more bits to do now. I also got some of pictures hung which made it feel a bit more homely.
- L was exhausted by the end of Friday so we both cuddled up on the sofa for the afternoon, I worked and he just played with his tablet. It was nice just to have a little cuddle.
- I worked all day on Saturday and on Sunday, this might not seem like a highlight, but you see my work have been so super flexible I was able to fit all of my hours from during the week into that weekend saving my holiday time. Holiday is precious, so to be able to have a week off to manage the half days at school, without touching my holiday entitlement is amazing and I couldn’t be more thankful for their understanding and helpfulness.
- The second I walked in the door on Sunday L was ready to go for a walk with us all. It was a lovely way to end my very boring weekend and spend a bit of time with him. The sun was shining, we collected conkers and saw a rainbow. It was lovely.
- Monday was L’s first full day at school and it went so well. He really is nailing this, he seems to have grown up all of a sudden, it’s crazy to watch. I had my first day back at work with my new hours, so finally got to see how the school run would work with work and I have managed to plan it perfectly so I am not rushed . I haven’t factored in me eating though, I get a 15 minute break for lunch. So that will need some thought.
- L’s best friend came over after school on Monday for a play and to see his new room. Those two boys are so sweet together and have been genuinely missing each other. I miss my friend too, so it was nice for us to have a catch up. She’s having a rough time with her school gate mums, I’ve been a lot luckier. So we had a good chat and put the world to rights over some biscuits until the boys were so tired we had to say goodbye.
- After all that playing and a full day at school Monday evening was tough. Whilst I had been prepared for L being clingy and crying when I left him at school, he has been fine. What has happened is has become clingy and often cries at bedtime. More so when he is tired, so Monday was especially bad. Thankfully his new bed comes complete with a desk and a chair, so I sit and work next to him as he drifts off. It is a drain on my evening with my husband but a lot easier than us trying to get him to sleep any other way. Plus, as lay there falling asleep he kept blowing me kisses which is super cute.
- Tuesday is my new day off. So after the school run I came home, did some housework, sorted the food delivery, got my laptop out and started to work. I worked until I just couldn’t anymore, I have run myself so ragged and been so stressed about school, I was sat there typing and just had to close my eyes. I slept for nearly two hours, I didn’t nap, I slept, there on the sofa with my laptop in my hands. I must have needed it as I felt so much better afterwards. I do need to be more careful with myself to make sure I don’t burn out.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.