For my birthday I was given a great new book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday and on Wednesday’s I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
Better late than never here’s this week’s calm post. My 11 hour contract has morphed into 30+ hours the last couple of weeks and will probably stay around that level up until Christmas, the extra money is great but obviously it’s taking a toll. We also had a funeral to attend this week and I had a really bad migraine. It’s not all bad though, so here are my top ten moments from the last 7 days.
- Stopping at the cafe for a drink and a cookie after our swim lesson. The lesson itself was horrific but it was nice to relax afterwards and L was very sweet chatting away to me. The horrors of the previous 30 minutes soon forgotten by us both.
- Getting home from work in time for L’s bedtime story and getting some lovely cuddles. I hate missing bedtime, but my shifts are normally late as that is when husb is home so there’s no need to worry about childcare.
- Making it through a ridiculously busy morning of chores and driving about before I started work at 9am, not only successfully but enjoyably. I had to drop off a parcel at our local Hermes pick up point, pick up a parcel from the post office, get petrol and drop L off with my parents all before starting work at 9am at a different store 20 miles away from me, as I was doing them a favour. L and I had a giggle and a chat rushing from one place to the next and he really got into the spirit of it.
- Watching L tidy all his toys away and say goodbye to his grandparents when I went to pick him up. He was so cute, making sure everything was neat and tidy and saying his goodbyes.
- This week has been a week of singing in the car. Wheels on the bus, or the big tall tower bus, or the fire engine, has been very popular and the requests get ever more random the longer we are driving. But it’s nice that L joins in and it makes the journeys go quickly.
- Getting a takeaway pizza to battle the sheer exhaustion we had both been feeling. A really chilled out evening with no cooking, washing up or even any real thinking to be done. It was lush. In fact my three highlights from that day go, pizza, bedtime, sleep. You can tell I wasn’t really feeling it, but I still found positives!
- An actual, honest to god, lay in. L slept until nearly 8am, we then had a really relaxed morning and I made egg muffins for breakfast. I even had a really long shower! Such unheard of treats.
- Making up some really silly games to play when husb got home from work. We all had to be snails and crawl round the house, then there was hide and seek, we had to get tickets and give L coins to go on a train ride. A couple of hours of complete craziness, but it was so much fun.
- Turning the music up and dancing with L in the kitchen whilst we unpacked the shopping. It is difficult to unpack shopping whilst dancing with a three year old, but it is possible and it’s a lot more fun.
- L behaving so well during the funeral. It was obviously a very sad day, but I was so proud of how well he behaved not only during the service but afterwards, with so many strangers talking to him and such an unusual atmosphere. It was a real silver lining to the day. He was an absolute gem. He even turned himself into the doorman. when everyone was leaving, opening the door and waving everyone off. I hope he helped make the day a little brighter for everyone else.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.