For my birthday last year I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
For the second week running I am on form, oh yeah! I’m ill as can be, pretty certain I have a sinus infection, but that won’t stop me! I’m calm, collected, ready for anything. My to do lists are still getting ticked off and mentally, if not physically, I’m feeling good.
I’m being careful not to take on more than I can handle. My diary is blocked out into the tasks I have to do and the time it will take me to do them. I’m also scheduling in down time and that is important. I think it is this change, the not taking on too much, that is really empowering and has allowed me to do so much more.
So here they are, my top ten moments from the last 7 days:
- Missing bedtime is one of the things I have been really struggling with but getting little picture updates whilst I’m at work makes it a better and I feel more involved. Plus his little face brightens up even the most boring evening.
- Going to the zoo with my friend and L. Just having the best morning. A good catch up and a bit of fresh air whilst L had a great time. We had so much fun my friend even signed up for a season ticket so we can do it more often which I am so excited about. It made me really happy.
- Whilst we had fun at the zoo it was really cold. So when we got home it was time for a warm drink. L decided he also had to wear his minion onesie because it’s cosy. How could I resist a request like that.
- We had real giggle one morning when I wasn’t feeling at all well and L asked me to take his picture and proceeded to pull all kind of poses. This was one of my favourites. Scary monster. It was an easy, low effort way to entertain him and fun for us both.
- Defrosting my car is not normally a job I enjoy. But going to it and finding a frost so beautiful I felt bad scraping it away was actually a really nice start to the morning. I had to stop and enjoy it for a moment. It reminded me of feathers, but looking back at the picture now I see a forest of trees.
- We had a fabulous family day during the week and several of my weekly highlights are from that day. So here’s number one, playing an amended version of Pooh Sticks by the bridge.
- Showing L around the inside of Wymondham Abbey and watching him marvel at the amazing gold work of the alter and the incredible carvings in the ceiling. Followed up by a nice walk and lunch at my favourite cafe, it wasn’t even the end of an amazing day.
- Having had such an amazing days with my boys I was feeling a bit soft, so treated L to molten chocolate for dessert. His first ever chocolate fondue was a massive hit. Don’t worry he didn’t get that whole plate of dipping things, but note the token banana for a vaguely healthy accompaniment.
- A morning playing trains with my little boy. He has got an epic collection now and we can make all kinds of tracks, He loves it so much and I enjoy playing trains as well. I’m just a bog kid at heart.
- Having a fun afternoon at the park so Daddy could have some peace and quiet to feel poorly in. He missed out though as we had a blast. We fed the ducks, ran around like fools, popped to the shops and played and played and played.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week, or in this case month. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.