For my birthday last year I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
Wow, we are all tired in this house at the moment. Husb’s new job is really taking it out of him. L has had a few unsettled nights, early starts and a complete refusal to nap, so he’s a delight. I simply don’t know what’s wrong with me, I feel drained and have literally been falling asleep on the sofa during the day.
There has been a lot going on recently, but honestly I shouldn’t be this tired!
Here are my top ten moments from the last 7 days:
- Arranging L’s first ever play date (that seems awfully American, sorry) with a friend from nursery. I may be a bit late on this bandwagon but not being a social butterfly myself it has been down to L to make his own friends, and he has! There is a group of four of them who play together at Nursery, but he is really fond of one of them and has been banging on about going to the zoo with him. So going old school and passing notes via nursery I have got hold of his little friend’s parents and we are going to go to the zoo soon. I am very excited, it seems to be a very grown up step.
- L waking me up one morning with the best hug ever, declaring that he had missed me so much and that he had lost me all day. I had been at work, we had spent the evening together, then he went to bed, so hardly lost. The cuddle was well worth it though.
- Watching Storm Doris safe from my cosy house. I love watching a good storm and boy was Doris one to watch, I did think we were going to lose the car port at one point, but we were lucky and didn’t suffer any damage. I was a bit annoyed/jealous that the shop I work in had to close, the one day I’m not there and they shut early!
- Discovering I still had 4 days holiday to take by the end of the month, so booking off every Saturday for the month. Woo hoo to work free weekends!! It will feel very luxurious.
- Going out to lunch at The Station Bistro, a lovely restaurant/stroke cafe near where we live and importantly overlooking the train station. L was happy watching the trains and I was happy enjoying a drink and some food. I don’t know why I hadn’t done this before, it sure beats sitting outside on a drafty platform watching the trains whizz by which is how I used to keep him occupied some days. Now I’ll be doing it in the warm and with cake.
- Selling Husb’s car, We decided to sell privately which is always a bit of a hassle, so it’s good that it’s gone. Especially as the guy we sold it too seems really nice, It’s just one less thing to stress about, so definitely a good thing.
- Going out for breakfast as a family before I started work on Sunday. I felt a bit of an idiot eating out in my uniform but it was nice to grab some time together and do something a bit different.
- Getting chocolates from a customer. It is official, we do have the best customers. In all my years working in retail I have never come across so many people genuinely grateful for the help they are receiving. I started this job in October and have had turned down two cash tips as I’m not allowed them, been given two boxes of chocolates, a bunch of flowers and had a coffee bought for me. Plus I’ve only had one person yell at me.
- I have managed to source a pair of heels I can walk in (I don’t do heels) for my upcoming Bridesmaid duties and get L a smart pair of black shoes that have Minions on, a combination that has pleased everyone. I was starting to get a bit worried about not having got them, and not having the money for them, when I found the perfect pair in the sale for £8. Such a relief.
- Making the decision to cancel L’s swimming lessons. As you know he has had a love hate relationship with his swim lessons for a while, well mainly hate. But it had got to the point where he was refusing to even get out of the car. The arguments are just not worth it, I want him to enjoy swimming, it s also not fun for me. So We are going to take a break for a while and try again in 6 months time. Hopefully that’s just what he needs.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week, or in this case month. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.