For my birthday last year I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
It’s been a busy few days and I’ve felt really under pressure. We’ve also in the middle of a few days off. Which whilst lovely doesn’t actually detract from the pressure. So I’m trying really hard to take a step back and enjoy myself a bit.
So here are my top ten moments from the last 7 days:
- Taking the cat to the vets. In itself not a highlight. In fact really low as he’s got to go back and be sedated to have more tests. It makes the list however as watching how good L was with him warmed my heart. He was discussing matters very seriously with our vet, who did a great job of explaining everything. L then kept checking I was OK and not sad. He also spent the whole car journey chatting to James so he wouldn’t be scared and was a pleasure in the waiting room reading magazines with me. His behaviour that morning was amazing.
- GIN NIGHT! Just that. Friends. Gin. Happiness. Our tipples were Ophir Spiced Gin, I loved it but the oriental spices weren’t a hit with everyone. We also had some Pickering’s to enjoy. A traditional but very high quality gin that was just a pleasure.
- Going for a day out on the train. That’s it really. L loves them, so that’s always good. We get to relax for a few minutes and not have to worry about driving. I love a train journey.
- Going to Amazona Zoo. We hadn’t visited for around a year and we love it there. We got to see all the animals and had a really good view of some of the big cats. It was a lot of fun.
- Taking a short taxi ride from the zoo to the seafront. It was a highlight for L as it is the only time he gets to ride in a car without his car seat, we don’t take taxis often. He finds it exciting. He also enjoyed speaking to our driver. Plus not having to walk 20 minutes meant we could enjoy a bit of time at the beach.
- A little bit of time in Cromer. We had an ice cream, trotted along the pier, dabbled our feet in the water and got good and sandy, oh and we cheated at the arcade and did the £2 prize every time claw machine to guarantee a happy child. Even if he hated his prize and then sulked for minutes.
- Getting home and getting L to bed after a long day out. It sounds ungrateful but husb and I were shattered so it was great to just get him into bed!
- Watching L get excited for our day out. Sometimes it can be hard to get him onboard with our plans but he was so excited to be going out to find the Gruffalo and chatted about it the whole car ride. His excitement is infectious and in some ways that was just enough for me. I would have been happy without the rest of the day out.
- Hunting Gruffalo in Thetford Forest. We had followed the trail before but this time it was for the blog (review to follow) so L had been sent some really cool Gruffalo goodies to help and despite the sweltering heat insisted on looking adorable wearing them.
- Enjoying a picnic after our Gruffalo hunting fun. Just enjoying the sunshine. Playing football and having a laugh.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week, or in this case month. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.