For my birthday last year I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
This week has been long, stressful, plans have been up in the air and changed last minute. I haven’t managed to get through the work I needed to and all this upheaval has left me reeling with anxiety. Still, as ever, I have made the most of it.
Here are my top ten moments from the last 7 days:
- It was a relief to get to work on Wednesday and know I just had a solid 8 hours of distraction. A structured day and no other choice. No being pulled in all directions. It’s funny how work can be a place of stability and calm for me. Especially when I never thought that could be the case.
- I was excited about Thursday. I was supposed to be off to London with my friend for a Christmas fix with The Ideal Home at Christmas Show. But my Father in Law was due to be released from hospital and they didn’t know if they could get him home or not, they thought they could, but just weren’t 100%. With that in mind I couldn’t in good conscious skip of to London for the day, so I kept quiet about my plans and said I would be home. Instead I went to the local zoo with my friend and we had a lovely time looking at the animals and catching up.
- Friday morning before work saw me catching up on a few odd little jobs, nothing big as I only have a couple of hours. Enough just to make me feel productive though. Enough just to take the edge of the rising anxiety.
- Grabbing a beautiful Yankee Candle set from Tesco after I finished work. Part of the Black Friday deals . I had said I would treat myself to something this month. Husb beat me to it as he had read my post and got me a Christmas Jumper, lush! I still wanted to treat myself though and I do love a candle. In fact I’ve treated myself to a few things this month. It has been nice.
- A nice cuddly morning with L before a full day at work on Saturday. He was lovely and made my manager (who he LOVES) a picture for me to take in with me. So cute.
- Sunday was lovely. An odd day as Father in Law was back in hospital after some complications, so again we didn’t know where we would be needed. Kept it local with a lovely walk at Whitlingham Broad and lunch in the cafe. Just a beautiful day for it.
- Having a chilled evening watching Baby Driver. Such a good film, I really enjoyed it, a bit different. Nice just to write off the week ready to start fresh in Monday and actually relax for a minute.
- A super productive Monday morning had me almost back on track which is always a good feeling and whilst I’m not where I want to be, there’s light at the end of the tunnel. I may still have the relaxing December I wanted. Maybe not the full month, but at least a couple of weeks.
- Going for a walk with L. It was wet, windy, bitterly cold and dark but he wanted to go out and we both needed the fresh air. It was nothing a torch and decent clothing couldn’t fix and we both enjoyed it.
- Looking round the Christmas displays of one of our local garden centres. The rest of the day may have been written off due L’s constant acting out, but for 30 minutes or so we had a beautiful time.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week, or in this case month. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.