For my birthday last year I was given a great book ‘Calm’ and a journal from my friends. To help me find some calm in my life and to de-stress a little. I have been writing in my journal everyday since and on Wednesday’s (or late on a Tuesday) I go through the daily highlights I’ve written down and pick out my 10 favourites.
Woo hoo. I had an actual Christmas break. Yeah some of it was because the Broadband was down and I couldn’t blog anyway, but then a good chunk was because I just took some time out.
So here are my top ten moments from the last 14 days:
- Christmas Eve was very busy but really nice. We saw all my family in the morning and exchanged gifts. L and I made a gingerbread house. We sprinkled reindeer food on the front lawn. Set out a tray for Santa. L had his new Christmas PJ’s and we eventually managed to get his excited little self into bed.
- L’s utter excitement waking up Christmas Day. Not too early thankfully, around 6ish which is normal for us. He came straight in to our room and dragged us up to see if Santa had been and when he saw all the gifts under the tree he just went crazy. Santa’s been Mummy, look he ate his pie and drank his milk, look mummy look there are crumbs. Mummy he has left me presents. Look, my favourite long present ever. Can I open them Mummy, can I, can I? It was certainly the most excitement we have seen him for Christmas, not a shock really, he’s only 4.
- A fabulous Christmas Day with just the three of us. We had a lovely walk and a very nice lunch. I had a well needed nap, as I had a stinking cold. We watched Christmas movies and just had a lovely time. L got to play with all his new toys and I was able to drink some of my new gin. Lovely.
- Spending Boxing Day with the inlaws. We ate too much, drank too much, laughed and chatted. L had a blast and was well looked after so I got to relax, which was bliss. I even got a good night sleep and a cooked breakfast before I headed to work leaving everyone else to have a lazy day.
- I had a lovely day at work. It was just a really nice day. It was the last time I was in before the New Year. Everyone was in a good mood. I have made some really good friends there this year. Who would have thought it, especially when I was so certain I would hate it.
- Spending New Year’s Eve at Orford. We explored Orford Castle, which is just fabulous and well worth a visit. Then we walked down to the quay and watched the boats. I definitely want to go back and get a boat out to the National Trust owned area with all the military buildings. There is so much history in such a small place, all the buildings are gorgeous and it looked like there were some great pubs. Who’d have thought by ticking of one of my ‘must visits’ I would add another in the same place.
- Actually staying up to see the New Year in. Can’t remember the last time I did that. It was actually rather nice, a bottle of fizz, chinese takeaway and a film.
- Going to Cromer for New Year’s Day. We had a lovely walk, chips for lunch and won some sweets in the arcade. We took some of L’s diggers so he could play with them in the sand which he loves and on our way back to the car he had a good splash in the rock pools, it went a bit wrong when he just sat down in the water though!!
- Getting out for a solo walk. I love walking but rarely get to walk by myself. So instead of mucking about on social media when I woke up I went for a moonlit walk. 20 minutes to myself, it was so nice, I felt so calm and it was a great energy boost for the day.
- Husb going back to work. Sounds mean I know but it means we can get back to our routine and I really need that right now. Some normality.
I’m really glad I write down a few positives from each day and then go back through them each week. It helps keep me focused, calm and therefore happy. It is also a great way to keep a note of the things we’ve done.
I’m linking up with #BloggerClubUK, #BestandWorst & #CoolMumClub just because I love them.