BREAK IN CASE OF WINTER EMERGENCY
Heinz brrrrr-ings the heat across the UK with breakable soup cases to fight the freeze
London, 16 January: As Winter sets in commuters across the UK were given a warming surprise after ‘Break In Case Of Emergency’ cases containing a free can of the nation’s favourite Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup were placed across cities. Throughout soup season, Heinz will be popping up in the coldest cities and towns across the UK to surprise consumers.
Commuters are being encouraged to fight the freeze by ‘breaking’ the glass to enjoy a winter warm-up. The emergency soup boxes have been created following 75 per cent of Brits saying nothing beats a winter chill like a hot bowl of soup. As temperatures plummet across the country, Heinz is expecting sales of soup to surge as people reach for winter warmers. In anticipation, Kitt Green, the Heinz soup production factory in Wigan, is at full tilt dispatching a whopping nine million cans of soup over the next week alone. It is estimated that Heinz will sell over 20 million cans in January and typically, Heinz sees a five per cent increase in demand for every degree drop during the soup season (October- March).
According to figures, the north is the number one ‘hot spot’ for soup during the winter months, with London a close second. Recent data also shows that 65 per cent more soup is consumed during winter than summer, and women are the biggest fans, enjoying nine per cent more than men. As a nation we buy £409 million worth of soup; four times more than popcorn (£93 million) and six times more than nuts (£71 million).
Shane Shortman from Heinz Soups comments: “Nothing beats the cold like a warm bowl of soup. With Britain feeling the Artic freeze, we wanted to share the love and help Londoners stay cosy with the ultimate comfort food: Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup. We will continue to surprise the coldest places in the UK throughout the winter months, so keep your eyes peeled!”
Top 5 facts about the nation’s favourite soup:
- Approximately 1,600 cans of Heinz soup are made every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year
- Heinz sells more than 65 million cans of Cream of Tomato soup a year, equating to 124 cans per minute
- More UK households buy Heinz soup than lightbulbs
- Heinz tasters take samples of soup from the end of the lines every hour to ensure it looks and tastes exactly right
- Heinz uses specially selected ingredients to make its soup – every tomato is sun-ripened and grown in open fields
- A can of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup counts as 1 of your 5 a day
Top 5 Heinz soup varieties:
- Cream of Tomato
- Cream of Chicken
- Cream of Mushroom
I would love to know if any of you found an emergency box, it’s quite exciting really. Oh and of you were wondering I’m a Cream of Tomato girl when it comes to soup. Mmmm.
Disclosure – this is a collaborative post